Thursday, February 16, 2012

Friday February 17, 2012-Caddo Lake NWR

Here are some more links to information on this refuge where we are:


http://www.caddofriends.org/history.asp


http://www.epa.gov/region6/6sf/pdffiles/0603606.pdf


http://www.caddolakeinstitute.us/docs/LHAAP/Pistol%20Range/09%2023%2010%20FINAL%20ROD%20Pistol%20Range.pdf


Thanks Jeremy for sending these to me.

I had to get up early this morning to go open the gates. We lock the gates every evening and open them on the weekend. The park staff comes in at 7, so we open the gates between 6 and 6:30. Its not hard and doesn't take all that long, so I took care of it this morning.

I went down to the fire station where the shop is located to meet Todd. We cleaned up the shop and he took me on a shakedown drive of one of the utility vehicles that I can now drive. Later we went for a ride out onto one of the equestrian trails and removed several trees that had fallen. Again it wasn't hard work but it was certainly muddy back there. We shortened the ride and still it took over an hour to make it, including the time to remove the trees.

We came back and I washed down the UTV to get all the mud off it. If left on there, it hardens like concrete and is much harder to remove, so it was worth it to take the time to clean it now.

I came on back home with a headache. Stella was working on something in the visitors center and while there, she washed some clothes, so it was a good day for us.

Stella and I made the night round and locked up the gates, so we opened the refuge this morning and closed and locked it up tonight. Guess we'll stay for awhile!

So long.

No comments: