Monday, October 10, 2016

Monday October 3, 2016-Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort

We started the pre-rally with some tours of attractions in Las Vegas, the first of which was the Carroll Shelby Museum. Since my Dad was a Ford dealer, I was q huge fan of the Mustang, and always wanted a Shelby Mustang GT350 or a Shelby Cobra. I drove several demos that Daddy gave me to drive but I could never afford a Shelby, so this museum was a treat for me.




Here I am, holding up a Cobra sign. I don't usually get pictures here because I am always on the other side of the camera, but I wanted this one as a memory.


They actually build both Mustangs and Cobras here in Las Vegas. Bob, our guide explained that they build the car with no engine or drivetrain, so it is not a complete car. When a customer buys one, the dealer makes arrangements for the engine and drivetrain to be installed elsewhere. The car is then titled as a brand new 1965 Mustang or Cobra with a current date of manufacture. Pretty cool huh! I still can't afford one...


A classic, white Mustang with blue race stripes.


This striking blue beauty caught my eye.


This is a Ford GT, a car built to compete in the famous race at LeMans, which it won on it's first outing.


The classic Cobra, which came with either a 289 or 427 engine. I would take either...


This is Bob, our guide. He worked extensively on the Mustang project and now works at the Shelby Museum. He worked on or around Mustangs for over 50 years, including time working with Carroll Shelby on designing and building the Mustang GT350 and the Cobra. He knows about every decision made on the Mustangs and was VERY informative.

More tour pictures coming.

So long.

No comments: