Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thursday May 21, 2015-Moving Day-Houston West RV Park to Alamo Fiesta RV Resort

We had agreed to meet Bill and Tommy about 8:15AM at a small truck stop at the exit to the Stephen F. Austin state park. We had made these plans when we had thought that we would be staying at the state park and didn't change them when we went to a different park.

We got up early and really had a pretty easy time with getting things ready to go. We made it to the meeting point right on time and after picking up a breakfast sandwich, we were on our way to Boerne. We were to meet Ted and Donna at the rest area near Columbus but they were about 45 minutes behind us and said for us to go ahead and they would see us in Boerne. We passed Columbus but did make a pit stop in Seguin. We pulled into the park in Boerne right around noon and were soon all set up and ready for the rally. We went around and talked to some old friends that were there and are looking forward to the rest of the rally.

Now for the bad news. Remember that I have told you about Cassie and how weak she has become? I took her out twice today and she was weaker than ever. Her back legs are very weak and she stumbled badly. This afternoon, about 5:30, she went to the Rainbow Bridge. Stella had just taken her out and She just sat down in the yard. I had to come and carry her up into the trailer. She was still shaky but walked into the living room. I went back outside to visit with company that had come by when Stella called me inside. She had found Cassie lying on the floor in the living room, dead. She died silently, and not in any apparent pain. 

I called the Herbst Veterinarian clinic which is nearby and explained what had happened. They said that they would take care of her from here on. Stella and I took her over and left my little baby girl. 

I don't know if you have heard her story with us. About 12 years ago, I was working for the City of Missouri City and had made friends with the animal control officers. I told them to keep an eye out for a small dog for my grandsons, so one day they called me to tell me they had a full-blood Schnauzer and that they could not locate the owners who had moved. I rescued her the day before she was scheduled to be put down and took her to Kim's house to Tyler and Cameron. They were delighted to get her, but Kim had cats that Cassie loved to chase, so her time with them was cut short. She came back home with me and became our dog.

She lived a good life with us for the most part. She was attacked by a coyote in our back yard, but managed to escape and recovered from her very serious wounds. When we went on the road, she made an excellent traveler, lying in her bed on the floor of the back seat. She slept most of the time and let us know if she needed to go outside. She traveled more miles than most dogs do in their entire lives. On this trip I noticed that she was sitting up on the seat, looking out the window and told Stella that she seemed to be looking around on what might be her last trip. Little did I know...

I love you Cassie-Girl and will never forget you. I'll see you again at the Rainbow Bridge.

So long


TravelTiger said...

So sorry for your loss. Hugs for both of you.

Cheri (Blackledge) Peine said...

So sorry to hear about Cassie.