Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday August 17, 2013-Mountain View RV Park

We had another quiet week here with the usual weather, cool in the morning and nice in the afternoon. It has only rained a little bit this week, and that is a nice change.

Pat and Lori went home on Monday and we will miss them this weekend. They are staying in Los Alamos for Pat to get a big job done but will return next week, staying for the Labor Day weekend. Our other new friends, Darwyn and Becky left on Wednesday but we may see them again later this year or possibly in the valley in January.

The big news this week is the bear(s) in the park. I told you a couple of weeks ago about a bear that got into the trash dumpsters and made a big mess of that. Then the bear was seen on the resort side across and down the street from us, but we hadn't seen any damage on this side or signs of the bear. A couple of nights ago, Stella took the dogs out for their 9 o'clock potty break as usual. She only takes to the end of our block-about four sites down- but when they got there, the dogs were very skittish. She said that when she got to the corner, she heard a very low growl but she couldn't be sure that it wasn't one of the dogs, but when they got over into the grass, she definitely heard a growl and the dogs acted frightened. They hurried home and she said that Tramp-the big bad watch dog- whirled around, baring his teeth when they got to the trailer. I checked around the ground outside the fence for tracks the next morning but didn't see anything. The ground is pretty hard with loose gravel along the road and it would have been difficult to see tracks. I went out with them that next night but we didn't see or hear anything. I took one of the better flashlights and shined it across the street but didn't see anything. I went for my walk around the park this morning and met them coming home. Tramp wanted to stay out and walk with me a little further, so I took him down to the other end of the park, where there is a stone life-size bear with cub. When Tramp saw it, he immediately shyed away, and acted very scared when I tried to get him to walk close to it, so I'm sure that he has seen a bear sometime. I doubt that there were any bears in Mission where we got him from, and I know that he hasn't been exposed to one anyplace else, so I'm convinced that he saw one the other night. I'll be sure to go out with them at night from now on. I'll let you know if we see anything. Or you can read about it in the newspapers...

So long.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Please just come home to no bears already. I don't want a phone call saying you've been in a fight with a bear :)