Friday, August 3, 2012

Thursday August 2, 2012-Mountain View RV Park

I skipped over Wednesday because nothing happened except more rain in the afternoon. Stella washed our clothes while the dogs and I stayed home and kept things around here in order. We didn't do much of anything most of the day, so there is nothing to report.

Thursday was a better day. We went for a ride up into the mountains over Creede, up the Bachelor Loop road. This is a very long and steep grade up to about 10,000 feet with a spectacular view of Creede down in the valley. It was kind of a spur of the moment trip and I didn't bring my camera with me when we left. Tramp had a very sad look, so I took him with us but he didn't last very long before he crawled over into the back seat and took a nap. He wasn't too impressed with the views that we saw, but when we got to the top, there was a large mule deer, about an eight-pointer just standing in the yard of a house at the summit. He wasn't worried about us in the least and just stood there munching on grass. I drove on past him and continued down the road, but it soon narrowed down to one lane so I decided (with some urging from Stella) to go back down the way we had come up. I couldn't turn around, so I backed down the road about a quarter of a  mile until I got to a side road and could get turned around. Earlier in the week we had heard a story of three ladies that are staying here in this park that had gone exploring up into the mountains and had tried to back down when they met oncoming traffic. The driver had become confused and tan off the road and the car overturned several times, injuring all three of them. I had thoughts of this accident as I backed down, and believe me, I was VERY careful! We made it back down into Creede without incident. We drove around some of the neighborhoods above the town and saw the gravesite of Bob Ford, the man that killed Jesse James but it was "under construction" so we didn't stop.

We went through downtown Creede, which was packed with people today before we returned home. Pat and Lori were returning to the park today, so Stella made them some supper so they wouldn't have to cook when they got in. We had a nice visit with them, but they didn't stay too long.

It had started to rain again and the clouds had knocked out our television reception, but it soon came back and we had TV again. When it rains here in the mountains, it really rains! And it usually knocks out the TV but it doesn't last very long. I'm sure that we'll have more to tell about this weekend.

So long.

No comments: