Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday March 29, 2014-Ron Hoover Oasis RV Park

This has been a good week for me. I worked on cleaning out the storage unit all week and then "got" to pick Cameron up after school to bring him home. We had a good time together and he helped me to move a few things out of storage to their house. 

Thursday evening we met Mike and Patrice and Harry and Judy at Monterrey House in Dickinson where we had a nice meal. It was good to see our friends one more time before we leave. As we started to leave, I saw Judge Lonnie Cox, the judge in the case that I testified in on Tuesday. I got to talk to him for a few minutes, which I really enjoyed. Judge Cox and I had worked together on several cases when he was an Assistant District Attorney and I worked for the Dickinson Police Dept., so it was good to catch up with him. We didn't talk about the case, except for him to say that it could go either way. Hmmm...

Friday morning I got a call from the prosecutor in the case, telling me that final arguments would be this morning in case I wanted to come down. I soon decided to go down, and got to the courtroom just as the Judge began his charge to the jury. I listened with interest to the final words from both the prosecution and defense and came away with a feeling that we would win a guilty verdict. I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Galveston with several of my old friends from Law Enforcement and we had a good time catching up. 

We returned to the courthouse for the verdict but I vowed to leave by 3 o'clock. Just a few minutes after 3, I told everyone that I knew that the verdict would be returning soon because I was leaving, and sure enough, I had not made it to the elevator when everyone began returning to the courtroom. I had left my phone number with Tommy Hansen who was one of the lead investigators in the case, and he was calling me when I walked back into the courtroom. We then got our hoped-for verdict of Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter. If you click on the link above, you can see the news report on the trial and a picture of the bad guy.

This morning we went to watch Cameron play baseball. Sadly the team got beat in both games but the second team is two classifications above Cam's team, and only beat them 9-6. A pretty good showing against a much more talented team. This is what I like about this team, they not only train the boys better, they challenge with better opponents.

After the games were over, we went by Harry and Judy's new site at the Galveston Bay RV Resort. They just moved over from a private lot in LaMarque and we stayed here several years ago, so we wanted to see what it looks like now. It's very nice and we'll consider it when we return. I also gave Harry a 5 gallon diesel fuel container for when they start traveling again. I love sharing my unneeded items with friends.

We went over to our storage unit and finished cleaning it out. Well, we did leave one box that we'll go back for tomorrow. FINALLY got it done!! We took a few more boxes to Kim's house to store them but now we're done. 

Told you it has been a good week.

So long.


No comments: