Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday February 8, 2016-Moving Day-Cottonwood RV Park to Gateway to the Gulf, Victoria TX

We were up about 6:30 this morning to get ready to leave. It was another cool morning, not cold, but long pants and a jacket would feel good. Of course, I dressed for warmer weather in shorts and my normal safety yellow tee shirt, and regretted it for the first few minutes that I was outside, but either I got used to the cool or I worked enough to keep warm, and I soon forgot that I was cold.

The pack-up went very well and I was soon finished with my work. At least, finished enough to take a last walkabout the park. I saw and said goodbye to several friends around the park before returning to finish my work. 

We were ready to go a little after 9, but  by the time we had a last visit with our friends and neighbors and pulled out at 9:36. It was about 30 minutes later than we wanted, but it will work. 

We went to the Discount Tire in McAllen to have three tires installed on the trailer. They told us it would be about an hour and a half until it would be ready, but they sent someone out and he was done in about 45 minutes. Great!!

We were soon back on the road and only made one comfort stop at the rest area just after the Border Patrol checkpoint in Falfurrias. It's an interesting stop because it is on the left side of the roadway, so that one rest stop services both northbound and southbound travelers. 

I also want to tell you about the friendliest Border Patrol officers we've ever met working at the checkpoint. I know that they are taught to be brusque and not overly friendly, but he certainly was. It was refreshing to meet him. I'm sorry that I didn't get his name because his supervisor needs to hear about him.

We got here to the Gateway to the Gulf RV Park about 3:30. In not time, we were checked in and escorted to our site. The weather has been good all the way down here but we were bucking a headwind all the way and my mileage suffered. It was still windy when we got here and I paid a price for it. While setting up the water, the door to the storage compartment got caught by the wind and it hit me on my face. Actually it hit my glasses and they hit my nose, so I got a bloody nose out of it. I knew it when I got hit but didn't know I was cut until a drop of blood fell on my arm. No, I didn't get light-headed from loss of blood, but I am a good bleeder and made quite a mess of a paper towel that I used to clean up and stop the flow of blood. 

We are all set up with television turned in and locked and still getting local feed- from Mission. Anyway, if there is anything on network television tonight, we'll be able to watch it. Not very likely...

So long.

No comments: