Friday, June 7, 2013

Thursday June 6, 2013-Elkhart Campground

We have been enjoying the weather here for the past few days. It's nice to be able to sit outside and visit with our friends, go for walks or capture and deploy Munzees. This game has become addictive to me and I am really enjoying it.

We found the Flippin Cow, a good hamburger joint here in Elkhart and decided to eat there on Wednesday with our friends Bernie and Judi. Luckily for us, there was a special of a full size hamburger for $1.99! It was very good and we enjoyed our meal. On our way back home, we saw a small car show at another restaurant and stopped in to see what they to show.

 This is an Isetta (sp) with matching trailer. I remember seeing cars like this one many years ago  but haven't seen one for a long time. Talk about tiny! How'd you like to go on a long trip in one of these? 

 I had a 1965 and a 1966 Mustang like this one, but of course my dad was a Ford dealer, so they were my "demo". Loved those cars...

I thought this was a good looking old car that has been well restored and modified. Cool-looking ride!

 My sister had a car like this one, just in another color. It was nice to be a car dealer's child, although we didn't realize it at the time. 

This 1957 Chevy was one of the best looking cars ever made. This one has been maintained well and restored where necessary and is another great looking car to be 56 years old. 

I didn't pay attention to the year model of this old Lincoln, but it is a nice one. The only thing that I saw wrong with the car is the leather seats need to be replaced badly. I guess the owner is only interested in keeping fuel in the car to keep the 429 cubic inch V8 going. I remember that engine and it NEVER got good mileage!

Did you know that Lincoln got it's name from President Abraham Lincoln? I didn't either. Henry Leland, a former Cadillac manager and his son Wilfred formed Lincoln Motor Company in 1917 but was bought by the Ford Motor Company in 1922. Just a quick history of this luxury car.

We went over to Goshen to help the early arrival crew and to see our friends that had arrived. We folded some rally shirts and got them ready for stuffing them into bags. We came on back home later in the afternoon and stopped at the North Garden oriental restaurant for a good supper. We have found that Burger King has .50 ice cream cones, so we stopped there and had a cone before coming home for the night. Just a few days until rally time!

Oh yeah, we did have some fun with Michael and Kelly (2psnapod1 & 2). They were stopped for a traffic light when we turned right in front of them. Both Bernie and I both blew our train air horns at them and Michael started looking for the train. I guess they really do sound like a train!

So long.

No comments: