Saturday, March 24, 2012

Friday March 23, 2012-Caddo Lake NWR

Stella and I went over to the state park where we paid a deposit for the kids' site for their arrival. I don't understand why they wouldn't take the deposit yesterday when I was there, but that's their rule. We did get an entry pass so we could come over after the kids get there.

Later this morning, Todd and I started working on the kiosk. We loaded up all the tools that we would need including the table saw, the power chop saw as well as assorted power tools and the generator onto one of the trailers. Then we got the service truck with an air compressor for the air tools and other assorted hand tools already on it. It pays to be prepared and have access to lots of power tools!

We got a good start, and worked our, well you know what we worked off... We got the framework built and everything is level and plumb. The only mishap during the day was that I fell off the ladder. I missed the bottom step so I didn't fall very far and landed on the trailer, which also broke my fall. My only injury was that I twisted my knee, which made me limp around for the rest of the afternoon.

By about four o'clock, we were done! Not only did we get a lot done today, we were both exhausted. My knee wasn't bothering me too much, but I was aware that it was hurt. You know, kind of an achy stiffness that just reminds you that you're not a kid any more.

I came on home and showered and relaxed in bed, resting my knee. Stella soon came home and before you know it, we were on our way to the state park to see the kiddoes. Jay, Jennifer, Ian, Melissa and their step-sister Katherine had come down to celebrate Ian's 4th birthday on Saturday.

They love to tent-camp which we outgrew many years ago. They had their tents set up but needed some help in getting Melissa's air mattress blown up. Jay and I went to my truck and rigged up a method to blow it up, so she was soon in business. We sat around talking and watching Ian ride his bicycle and play with his fishing rod and reel.

We decided to drive into Marshall for supper and for them to go to a grocery store for some supplies. We tried to go to the Cajun Tex restaurant where we had eaten last week but it was too busy, so we ended up at the El Chico for some mexican food.

After a lot of visiting after eating, we headed home while they went to the Kroger store across the street from the restaurant. It had been a good day but I was tired and my knee was bothering me, so we came on back home. Looking forward to singing Happy Birthday to Ian tomorrow.

So long.

1 comment:

Juju and Harry said...

You have to remember that you are getting to old to climb ladders.