Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tuesday March 6, 2012-Caddo Lake NWR

Another cold morning here at the refuge. We got a bit of a late start this morning but it was nice to be out and about. I took Stella over to the headquarters to put out some more maps of the auto tour route. We took a ride out to the Starr ranch and stopped off at the fire hall to check with Josh. I had told him that I would mow around the fire station and learned that he was about to start mowing the outside areas. I came back after lunch and mowed inside the fences. The mowing is pretty easy with the power equipment and I enjoyed it. I came on back home after a couple of hours of mowing to relax.

I later got a call from Beverly, the bird lady, who told me that sadly, the hawk that we had taken to her yesterday didn't make it through the night. She said that he had regurgitated a large amount of blood and apparently he had more severe internal injuries than we had realized. I still felt sad that he didn't live, but we gave him a better chance to recover than he would have had if we hadn't tried. Another hawk in the forest of Heaven.

So long.

1 comment:

JimSims said...

Thanks for your effort to save the hawk, Jay. Judy has turned me in to a real bird appreciation person. We've sold our place in the country and I took down several bluebird houses this past weekend as they were preparing nests. They now flutter around like "I know that house was there yesterday". BTW, we camp at the Caddo state park regularly and love it.