Friday, August 20, 2010

Thursday August 19, 2010-Alamo Fiesta RV Resort

Today was our travel day to take the boys home. Again, they didn't want to get out of bed, but I finally got them up about 8:30. We all showered and ate breakfast and got away about a quarter 'til ten. This is more than an hour later than we wanted to leave, but we had to go over everything before we pulled out.

We drive straight through San Antonio and, surprising for me, we had no traffic problems and I didn't even get lost! I have always had a problem with getting around San Antonio but nothing went wrong today.

We made our first stop at the Buccee's store in Luling. I have been to other Buccee's stores, but frankly, this one blew me away! This place is huge and has an immense parking lot. I also noticed that there is plenty of space for a truck and trailer in the parking lot, as well as a motorhome and towed vehicle. The parking lot was full when we were there this morning and I would estimate that there were at least 100 people in the store. There is plenty to choose from in the food bars, and of course, the fuel prices weren't too bad. We were there longer than I wanted to be, but everyone got something to eat and drink and we fueled up, taking 19.3 gallons to go 233.6 miles for a 12.1 MPG average. Over half of this tank was pulling the trailer, with only about 100 miles traveling light with only the truck and all of the boy's gear stuffed into the bed and inside the truck.

We continued on toward Texas City and ran into some pretty heavy rainstorms between Sealy and Houston. It didn't slow us down very much and washed off some of the bugs from the truck.

We dropped Stella at Eric's office for a meeting with him for one of her clients and I took the boys home. Along the way, we drove past our old house and found someones car in the driveway and all the for sale signs down. Apparently the house has been sold, which only took four months. I'm glad for our buyer and hope the new owner enjoys the house as much as we did. I guess a house is the same as a boat; the two best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. We are certainly glad we sold out and wish we had done it sooner.

I waited for Stella to get done with her meeting for a couple of hours. I used my time to clean the windshield and to check the many map books Stella has in the truck. It was pretty hot and muggy, but I tried to make the most of the time. When she came out, we immediately started back to Boerne. Its about a 260 mile trip between Texas City and Boerne so we knew it was a long drive. It gave us a chance to talk without the boys interrupting or listening to our conversation.

We stopped again at Buccees for our break. We were both getting hungry and we needed fuel again, so we took 18.2 gallons to go 364.5 miles for a 20.02 average. Now thats more like it!

We made it on back home without any further problems. I did miss a turn on the freeway but we only went a couple of miles before we turned off onto the 1402 Loop and made it back to I-10. We got home a little after nine, very tired, but glad the day was over. I had stopped by the storage room and picked up the small refrigerator and the shredder for Stella to use in her work, so I brought them in and plugged the fridge in outside under our table. We will put soft drinks, water and beer into it for the group coming up.

It was a good day with the boys and we are so happy that they had a good time with us. We are planning another summer trip for next year, so check back to see where we will be going.

So long.

No comments: