Monday, May 4, 2009

Sunday May 3, 2009

We only had time to drink a little bit of coffee and eat some cereal this morning before Jeremy called and wanted to go to the house to work. We got there about 10 but Kim wasn't with him. She is still having a problem with us leaving, but I thought we had worked it all out. Guess I was wrong.....

I started cutting the grass, Jeremy started taking the deck apart and cutting the boards up to be picked up by the trash service and Stella kept working in the back bedroom.

The grass was real high because it has been about three weeks since it has been cut and with all the rain we have gotten it has grown a lot. Hopefully, this is the last time I will have to cut the grass, so it is a historic occasion for me. I cut and edged the entire front in a little over an hour and a half, using Jeremy's new Honda mower. I have never seen a lawn mower that starts as easy as the Honda. If I were going to be mowing in the future, I would have to get one of these. The only problem that I see with it is that is has a very narrow cutting deck. I like a wider deck to cover more grass.

The old deck came up very easy because most of the nails had rusted out. The deck boards were in surprisingly good shape, considering they have been down for 23 years! Some of the boards were rotten of course, but many of them were in good condition and could probably have been resurfaced and reused. He is going to remove the deck and the framing around the hot tub, but will keep the deck next to the house including the arbor, which is also in good condition. We put some of the boards out by the street to see if the trash service will pick them up. If not, Jeremy thinks he can get a trailer to haul the rest off to the Biosphere in Texas City. There they will be ground up and made into mulch which will be returned to him.

Stella made some good progress in the bedroom. She found a few long sleeved shirts and a couple of light weight sweaters for me and a coat for herself. These will come in handy in our future travels and in the winter.

Delia came over to pick up some Amoxicillan that we had gotten for her while we were in Mexico. It was good to see her again. I hope she learns to pull the trailer and will come camping with us in the future.

We all were tired from our work, so we went home and got cleaned up to go out to eat for Jeremy's birthday. Cameron had practice at 6, so Jeremy called me when practice was over and we met them at the Salt Grass Steakhouse in Kemah. We all had a delicious meal and had a fun celebration of Jeremy's birthday. That big chicken Cameron wouldn't go on the Boardwalk Bullet roller coaster. He heard people screaming on the coaster when we got to the restaurant and he wouldn't go on it.

We returned home for another peaceful night here in the park.

No comments: