Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday April 21, 2009

Moving day is here again.....We have to move out of the High Desert park because of others coming in. That is to be expected, since that's what happened to us when we got to the park. I saw a couple of rigs come in and then go back to the road where we slept our first night here.

It was 41 degrees when I got out of bed this morning, but it warmed up quickly. We're going to miss these cool mornings soon.

While I was getting ready to leave, I talked to Frank who was cleaning his trailer with some of his new products. He came over and used his cleaner to take some oil streaks off the front of my trailer and the bugs off the front end. That was very nice of him to do that for me! I gave him a couple of samples of Streak-X and Clean and Glo for his trouble.

Judy fixed us some breakfast tacos this morning. They were delicious and very filling. We didn't feel any hunger until late in the afternoon. It's nice to have good friends!

We got away about 11 o'clock, a little later than we had wanted to, but we're only going to Amarillo, a 285 mile trip. We stopped at a Chevron near the park before we pulled out and got fuel. We took 14.3 gallons at $2.189 per gal. to go 196.5 for a 13.7 mpg average. Not too bad, considering that most of this tank was used pulling the trailer. Since we switched off with Harry and Judy with driving to the rally, we only had to drive twice.

We made good time through Albuquerque, with almost no traffic. It is nothing like Houston traffic! Just after Santa Rosa, we saw a bad accident where a fifth wheel trailer turned over. It looked very bad, the whole fiberglass body of the trailer was gone, splintered by the accident. There was a clean up crew picking through the debris and we saw the frame of the trailer sitting near the accident scene. I hope no one was injured.

We stopped again at a rest area for a stretch-the-legs break. It was good to get out of the truck, even though we didn't "need" to stop. We have realized that we are retired and have the time to take our time.

We stopped again for fuel in Tucumcari at the Flying J. We took 15.4 gallons at $2.149 per gallon to go 184.2 for a 11.9 mpg average. Much better than coming up here!

While in the store, I bought a car charger for my cell phone. My phone is getting old and needs to be replaced. I charged it up overnight and after talking on the phone for about 15-20 minutes, I get the low battery signal. Stella also bought us a couple of pieces of pizza from their deli. It was really good, and now we won't have to fix supper tonight. We continued to make good time, but saw another accident in New Mexico. Apparently a Mustang had lost control and hit something. It didn't look like the car had overturned, but it was a bad accident. At least I saw the Trooper walking around talking to a young man, who I assume was the driver.

We pulled into the Oasis RV Park about 5 o'clock. They were super busy with several rigs that had pulled in prior to us and then four rigs pulled in behind us. It looks like this park will be full tonight, mostly from people who came from The Rally.

While outside, I met our next door neighbor, John Joseph. John is a sales representative for Passport America and a new Heartland owner. He bought a Bighorn 3600RL but it won't be delivered in time for the national rally in June.

Stella washed our dirty clothes-for free! This is the policy in this park for now. I'm sure that when the new wears off this park, they will charge the normal fees for washing. It's a really good deal, and Stella talked to others who knew of this policy and stopped here for that purpose.

When I went over to the laudromat to get the clean clothes, I saw that my new friend, John is gone from the site next door. I don't know what happened to him but he's gone now.

We're planning to stay here until Thursday. We will go to the Palo Duro canyon tomorrow to check it out. Neither of us has ever been there.

So long for tonight.

No comments: