Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday June 25, 2011-Detroit-Greenfield RV Park

The world-famous Oscar Mayer Weinermobile was the main attraction at the Henry Ford Museum. When I learned that they had the original, you couldn't hold me back to check it out. WOW!!!


Ford was obsessed with the famous people of his time. This is a replica of Amelia Earhart and one of her airplanes. Earhart's accomplishments include:


Woman's World Altitude record (14,000 ft.) (1922)

First woman to fly the Atlantic (1928)

First woman to fly the Atlantic solo (1932)

First person to fly the Atlantic twice (1932)

First woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross (1932)

First woman to fly, non-stop, coast to coast across the United States (1933)


Many other awards and records including speed and endurance records.



This is a HUGE Canadian train with this red snow "thrower" on the front end. All of these trains are sitting on tracks inside the museum. I can only imagine the foundation under these things.


Another large steam locomotive. Not included in this photo were the cars in the train, coal tenders, passenger and cargo cars, etc. I am in awe of the breadth of the Ford museum. So many objects in this collection, it blows my mind!


There should have been a photo of the simple house that Henry Ford was born in, but somehow it didn't get loaded. I told you that my computer has been acting up. I was told that the house is approximately 3 miles from the original location and moved here. As you can see on the sign, Ford sent people all over the country to find exactly the dining room stove that he remembered. Remember, Henry Ford was a billionaire in the 1920's. He could certainly afford it!




The original Ford Motor company plant. They didn't stay in this building very long. We didn't have time to tour the Ford plant near the museum. I remember that my Dad, who was a Ford dealer for many years, took me to the Ford plant in Dallas Texas when I was just a small boy. I still remember the automation there in the early 1950's. Perhaps one day we'll return here and tour the plant.


This is a replica of the Wright brothers bicycle shop. They were another of Ford's interests, as was Thomas Edison. I will include some of the photos of Edison's laboratory and shops very soon.




They use both Model T's, other old cars as well as horse-drawn wagons and carriages to transport guests around the museum grounds. This is one of the more interesting ones carrying passengers.


Here are some birds enjoying the exhaust residue from some of the horses. I know it's gross, but it shows that the Ford museum is a part of the "green" movement that limits pollutants. After all, birds need nutrition too.


So long.























No comments: