Sunday, July 24, 2011

Saturday July 23, 2011-Mackinaw Mill Creek campground

Another lazy day here. At least the weather has cooled off some. It still gets warm in the daytime but it cools off nicely in the evening and night. The only thing we did today was go to the washateria and washed our clothes. It was very pleasant sitting in the truck while Stella took care of our clothes. I was able to park in the shade, and with the breeze, it was nice. I went to a little "pasty" shop that was nearby and bought myself a cup of coffee to sip on as I read a book on the Kindle. When the clothes were done, we went back to the store and bought a couple of the pasties, which are a meat or chicken with potatoes and carrots that is wrapped in a dough and baked. I had a chicken and Stella had a beef. Neither one of us was impressed with the things but they weren't really bad, just not great. It must be something that is popular around here because every restaurant sells them.

We came back home and after putting our clothes away, we relaxed (napped) for a bit before we met Ed and Karen to go eat supper in town. We went to the Blue Water Grill to try it out. Again, the food wasn't bad but it wasn't real good. Three of us had the trout special plate which was filling but not real tasty. We enjoyed our time visiting with Ed and Karen since they are from our area of Texas. We will miss them when they leave tomorrow.

We came back home and sat outside until the skeeters sent us all back inside about 9 o'clock. I suppose the cooler weather has made me stay up later because I have been staying up until almost midnight every night. Then I sleep in until 7:30 or 8, which is a bad habit for me to get into. When I get back to Rayford, I have to be up early for coffee. Something to work on.

So long.

1 comment:

Ted and Donna said...

Pasties were made out of leftover meat and vegetables and put into a pastry and baked. The miners could then place them on their shovels over a fire and end up with a hot, nutricious lunch. I'm not crazy about them either.